Friday, May 4, 2012

Tender is the Night

Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald (1934), 315 pp.

This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald (1920), 240 pp.
The Beautiful and the Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald (1922), 449pp.
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (1925), 189pp.

The novel under review here is supposed to be Tender is the Night, but since I read it to finish out Fitzgerald’s four major novels, it seems like the perfect time to say a few words on the others, which I might not have another occasion to write about. More to the point, it would be difficult to say anything about Tender is the Night without touching on Fitzgerald’s broader oeuvre and the literary landscape in which he put pen to paper.

Literary modernism, which roughly encompassed the years between WWI and WWII, is probably my favorite literary movement ever. The work belonging to this period is so diverse, sophisticated, lyrically and emotionally complex, textural, atmospheric, moody. It’s for this reason exactly that I think modernist literature sometimes scares people away. Major writers of the era like James Joyce and Virginia Woolf can be dense and difficult. Ditto for major poets like T.S. Eliot and W.B. Yeats. I’ll own up to the fact that this quality appeals to me. I would not want to be sent away to a deserted island without a copy of The Wasteland.

But even—or especially—if difficulty in literature does NOT appeal to you, Fitzgerald may be your man. His writing is quite readable but still manages to say a lot about the world after the Great War. No doubt it would make my old professors cringe to see me reduce an entire movement to a single sentence, but in reviews people expect to find out what things are “about,” and so it’s for my readers that I do this: simplified greatly, modernist literature is essentially “about” the loss of the world outside oneself. There are lots of different facets of this—problems of language, skepticism about religion and other traditional forms of knowledge, the unsettling of gender and class—but they all point to the disintegration of an identifiable relationship between individuals, other individuals, and culture.

So, why is this cool? Well, for me it’s cool because I see modernism as maybe the earliest literary movement to really reflect the contemporary psyche. Huckleberry Finn, for example, is an awesome and very human book. But Huckleberry Finn does not speak to today's readers with any present historical relevance; it’s a book you have to talk about by saying “people at that time believed” whatever they believed, as distinct from what we believe and identify with today. Modernism, on the other hand, was just an earlier stop on a line of thought and inquiry we are still very much, in my opinion, traveling. In my experience, many of us still face questions about how we relate to others and the world outside ourselves. Post-9/11, I think we have perhaps even cycled through the cynicism of postmodernism to ask these questions more so again in hopes of finding authentic connections.

Anyway, after a lengthy and possibly belabored introduction, some commentary on the actual books. It’s your duty as an American to read at least one of them. I recommend them in this order:

The Great Gatsby
It’s not for nothing that Gatsby is a classic in American lit. It’s a scathing story beautifully rendered with some of the most memorable and iconic imagery in our canon. Annals have been written on this book, so I will leave it at that.

This Side of Paradise
This Side of Paradise is way underrated, to my mind. Written by an early 20-something about early 20-somethings (Fitzgerald was 24 when it was published), it has the distinct melodrama of youth, which is why I usually suggest people read it before 25, if they’re not already there. Regardless of age, though, This Side of Paradise is just a solidly good book about growing up and growing into a fractured world (the book’s chronology spans WWI). And it’s not without philosophy: in his pronouncement, “I know myself, but that is all,” protagonist Amory Blaine is basically a poster boy for modernist sentiment.

Tender is the Night (if you have time)

Tender is the Night is a compilation of standard Fitzgeraldian set pieces. Dick Diver and his wife Nicole, a trust fund baby, party among the fashionable elite of American expats in Europe, falling in and out of love with each other while struggling to find meaning in their separate lives. Much like the Diver’s relationship, I found that this book quietly petered out for me, not leaving the impact I was hoping for.

The Beautiful and the Damned (if you still have time and are not tired of Fitzgerald yet)
I found this to be a somewhat bitter book. Like Gatsby, it is an open critique, attacking the dissolute life of boozing, partying, and reckless spending led by protagonist Anthony Patch (another trust fund baby) and his socially ambitious wife, Gloria. The Patches, who go through most of the novel drunk or hung-over, embody Edna St. Vincent Millay’s “my candle burns at both ends” (that poem was published in 1920, by the way, almost exactly contemporaneous with the writing of The Beautiful and the Damned), but whereas Millay’s candle “gives a lovely light,” Fitzgerald shows the Patches’ lives to be shallow, driven by greed, and devoid of any kind of happiness.

In sum, although this has turned out not to really be about Tender is the Night at all, I think I’ve made it clear that I think Fitzgerald (F. Scotty Fitz, as I like to call him) is a good choice for anyone’s reading list. The Great Gatsby and This Side of Paradise, especially, are books that have stayed with me and I suspect will stay with me for a long time. They made me feel something and made me look at the world differently—which is all I can really ask of any work of art.

1 comment:

  1. "Physically.-- Amory thought that he was exceedingly handsome. He was. He fancied himself an athlete of possibilities and a supple dancer.

    Socially.-- Here his condition was, perhaps, most dangerous. He granted himself personality, charm, magnetism, poise, the power of dominating all contemporary males, the gift of fascinating all women.

    Mentally.-- Complete, unquestioned superiority.

    Now a confession will have to be made. Amory had rather a Puritan conscience. Not that he yielded to it -- later in life he almost completely slew it -- but at fifteen it made him consider himself a great deal worse than other boys ... unscrupulousness ... the desire to influence people in almost every way, even for evil ... a certain coldness and lack of affection, amounting sometimes to cruelty ... a shifting sense of honor ... an unholy selfishness ... a puzzled, furtive interest in everything concerning sex."

    A+

    ReplyDelete